What I’ve been up to since the beginning of September:
- Completed a Greek reader of Ignatius’ letter to the Smyraeans.
- Completed a Greek reader of 1 Clement.
- Wrote over 90 pages for my thesis. On that note, I should mention that as of this morning, I am sitting at 167 pages with only a third left of my final chapter (excluding the conclusion, of course). I’m aiming for a thesis no longer than 200 pages (excluding the front and back matter). That’s only 75 pages over the standard 125 page ThM thesis! For a while there I thought it was going to be 300–400 pages, but I managed to limit the scope of the project.
- Translated through Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, 1 Corinthians, and 1 John. I just finished my reading of Acts this morning. Boy did things get difficult around Acts 27. All that nautical terminology made it a very difficult couple of days.
- Join a German study group.
- Created a Greek reading study group.
- Contacted a couple of professors about potential PhD programs.
- Lamented my future absence from ETS and SBL. Since we didn’t know where we would be living at the conclusion of the summer, we decided it best to not make plans to attend. Sadly, it just so happens that a number of my friends from college will not only be in attendance, but will be presenting papers.
I look forward to seeing what the rest of this year will bring (hopefully the finishing touches on my thesis), the conclusion of a number of outstanding projects, substantial progress in German, and a better idea of what school to attend along with the ability to get into said school.